[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ahecht
Forum Index » Profile for ahecht » Messages posted by ahecht
Yes, I've been running 2.4.5-beta5 since its release. I can't be sure if this issue happened with previous versions.
Often when watching a video using live conversion, the playback on the device will stop after a few minutes, sometimes as much as 15 or 20 minutes. If I scrub a little back and forth, I can sometimes get it going again, but it will always stop again after a few seconds.

If I go to the computer running Air Video Server (Mac Mini - 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo - 8GB RAM), I can see by the CPU that ffmpeg has stopped. Under normal live conversion, I can see that ffmpeg is using working, it's nearly always the top process, with regular spikes up to close to 100% of both CPUs. When the condition above happens, ffmpeg isn't in the top processes list at all, and the overall CPU usage is around 8%, the usual background rate.

It doesn't seem to be an issue of access to the server. I can keep browsing videos, start other videos (ffmpeg starts up again), etc. It almost seems like Air Video Server thinks it's finished encoding when it's not.

Anyone else see this behavior? Any solution?
Just want to clarify a few things here about how iOS so-called background apps work..

There's no reason closing out *ALL* the background apps should be necessary. Did you try only closing AirVideo before going after all of them?

Closing apps from the app-switcher bar that way (with the little minus sign) does free up some memory, but those apps aren't really running in the background, they're more like frozen in time. The state they were last in has been saved so they can resume where they left off quickly. They're not using CPU, and the memory footprint is tiny.

In other words, the problem you're having is almost certainly being solved when you force quit Air Video, and the rest of your minus sign tapping isn't having any effect.

So you can save yourself a lot of time (both quitting the apps and getting back to where you were when you launch the other apps again) by just quitting Air Video and trying again. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case.

Forum Index » Profile for ahecht » Messages posted by ahecht
Go to: